Economic Vitality and Business Community Projects
In the past years, the Economic Restructuring committee has developed professional services and educational opportunities to support downtown businesses and initiatives to boost the local economy.
The DSC’s Economic Vitality and Business Community Projects group will continue pursuing these efforts and focus on the business vitality component of its mission. To achieve this, the DSC will create Business incentive/grant programs to extend business hours over the summer. The DSC will create engaging activities around increasing foot traffic on Main Street and develop a membership program for the merchants.
Economic Development Committee Chair: Jen Elliott
Economic Development Committee Meetings: 2nd Tuesday of each month, at 1 pm, virtually. Email DowntownSykesvilleConnection@gmail.com for the Zoom link.
– Design, production, and installation of a Parklet.
– Purchase and installation of a street sound system.
– Design and production of the Downtown Sykesville Visitor Guide and downtown map.
– Award and administration of 3 rounds of the Department of Housing and Community Development’s Facade Improvement Program grant.
– Design and production of the Main Street bucks.
– Design of a resilience micro-grant with the Town of Sykesville.
– Coordination of the seating areas’ creation with the town of Sykesville.
– Creation of “Welcome” to Sykesville business bags.
– Creation and production of a DSC impact sheet.
– Administration of Draw your Main Street Contest.
– Participation in round tables for the Town of Sykesville Comprehensive plan.
– Organization and hosting of the Locable Marketing 3-4-5 workshop.
– Award and administration the 4th Department of Housing and Community Development’s Façade Improvement program grant.
– Administer the Department of Housing and Community Development’s MD-SERI grant.
– Administer the Main Street Bucks program.
– Maintain a general and yearly impact sheet.
– Create a yiftee promo campaign and gift cards valid in all downtown shops.
– Create and launch the ladies’ night project.
– Application to MIP and TAG grants
– Application to AARP grant.
– Coordination of the first Ladies’ night shopping event.
– Reprint of the updated visitor g
- Administer the Department of Housing and Community Development’s Façade Improvement.
- Administer the FY21 MIP and TAG (marketing and board training).
- Create a coupon booklet will all the shops.
- Create a welcome Sykesville shopping bag for residents (use the coupon books in it).
- Administer the Main Street Bucks program.
- Maintain a general and yearly impact sheet.
- Create a new Yiftee promo campaign and find sponsors.
- Coordinate and assist with supporting the cost of the downtown holiday decorations.
- Develop the alleyways into easily accessible placemaking areas.
- Develop other placemaking areas.