The Keep Sykesville Beautiful (KSB) group is a partnership between the Clean, Green, and Safe Committee of the Downtown Sykesville Connection (a nonprofit organization administering the Main Street program in Sykesville), the Town of Sykesville Staff/Public Works Department, and Sykesville Parks & Recreation.
Together, the three partners will use the Keep America Beautiful’s framework for community education and hands-on stewardship that reduces litter and encourages recycling, promotes grassroots volunteerism, and makes sustainable improvement possible for communities of all sizes. KSB aims to improve behavior and create innovative, locally-focused programs that address the specific needs of this area and its population with the goal to reach deep into tour communities to effect meaningful, positive changes.
We are proud to announce our partnership with the Trash Troopers: a group of citizens dedicated to keeping our communities clean by organizing regular trash cleanup events in Carroll and Howard County Maryland.
Calendar of events:
- Sykesville first Plogging event: March 27th, 2021, downtown Sykesville, registration at 1 pm at the fountain park (across from the French Twist Cafe)
- Spring cleanup: Saturday after Earth day, April 24, 2021
- KAB National Conference: May 3 – 5, 2021 | Gaylord National Resort and Convention Center I National Harbor, MD
- Fall cleanup, September 18, 2021
- Cigarette Litter Prevention Program: TBD
- Other local activities: TBD
- Check partner’s and joined event lists on Facebook on wither of the pages of our 3 members: Town of Sykesville, DSC Green Committee, and Sykesville Parks & Recreation
Useful info and recycling drop-off sites:
- Town residential and yard trash pick-up and recycling.
- Landfields: Northern (County) landfill
- Dorsey Dumpster: dispose of items such as T.V.’s, lawnmowers, electronics, appliances, and more
- Oil recycling: Recycling Town shed.
- Christmas lights recycling: light strings can be dropped off in the electronics recycling drop-off at the Shady Grove Processing Facility and Transfer Station.
- Gently used athletic shoes can be dropped off at Tri Sport Junction to be recycled by the More Foundation to create viable micro-economies and jobs in developing nations.
- Town enforcement ordinances and contact: 410-795-8959
98-4 Unlawful Activities.
98-5 Presumption of responsibility for violation.
98-7 Violations and penalties.
129-16 Littering Prohibited – Penalty
129-17 Dumping on land or into container of another or on public highway.
- Connect with other volunteers or find events in your area.
- Grant opportunities.
- Education from Keep America Beautiful: An Introduction to “Waste in Place”
May 27, 2020
Katie Joblon, Keep America Beautiful Youth & Education Programs Manager, and Sara Walters, Youth & Education Programs Manager, Keep Texas Beautiful, presented a one-hour introduction to “Waste in Place” (WIP), the curricula designed to mimic real-world experiences and presented to teach the essentials of proactive community citizenship through activities. Designed to meet national educational standards and easily adaptable to each community WIP serves as a hands-on, environmental activity guide and intended to empower generations of community and environmental stewards. View the recording to see how interactive lessons are adaptable to provide activities designed to develop awareness and knowledge about litter prevention, waste reduction, beautification, and community improvement.